02 July 2008

Some dogs

Since this is a blog about dogs, how about if I post some! Here's a random selection of some of the (cutest) dogs I've picked up in the last couple of months. It's funny, more than once before I started going out there, I'd heard this pound gets nothing but "labs and hounds," so it wasn't worth bothering with....

All I knew was I was getting a westie mix puppy, so since I didn't know if it would be male or female, I named it Stevie. You have to figure if we're getting a young puppy from one of the breeders out there, there's something wrong with it, or they'd just sell it. Stevie came in loaded with worms and fleas and was in such bad shape he had to go immediately to the vet. He never even made the website from there but was adopted by someone in the vet's office. Second photo was sent in by his new owner, enjoying the good life! Tell the truth, you said AWWWWW!!
Photobucket Photobucket

-----------------------------

I LOVE this puppy! Every time I would see him at an event I would rush over, grab him up, and say "oh! I love this puppy!" He was on the website for one of the pounds here for 2 weeks! It was a lousy picture but still! A little white puppy? I thought for sure he was adoped, but nope. Nikki named him Popcorn.
Photobucket

-------------------------------

There are always too many beagles at the pounds, and a whole lot of them don't get another chance. They're probably the most over-represented "Top 10" breed left in kill pounds. My guess is it's partly because they wander off so easily and then aren't claimed, and partly because they appeal to people initially as small cute dogs but they aren't automatically a good choice for all families. This little gal is Vera.
Photobucket
--------------------------------------
Dayzee (so she came with that name, don't blame me!) was an owner sign-off, sounded like some guy got a dog for his kids but since they're only there for an occasional weekend and he works a lot, she was just left in a crate most of the time. You can imagine how much interest she got!
Photobucket

---------
Trix is another breeder reject. We knew when we got her she had a small hernia that would need to be repaired when she was spayed. As it turned out, she apparently also had an infection and will need to spend some extra time getting healthy before she can be adopted. She's another one who hasn't even made it to the website and is already spoken for!

Photobucket
--------------
I've grown to love pugs! No offense to other breeds but pugs and boxers have the most personality, I swear! Maybe it's all the snorting and grunting sounds they make because they all seem to actually talk to you. This little guy went to pug rescue. I deal with a lot of breed rescues. Some are great, others I will never call again. Pug rescue said yes and had arrangements made almost as fast as I sent the first email. They lucked out too. He's a great dog!
Photobucket

----------------------------

You'd think after all this time and as many dogs as I've seen, I'd learn, but I really thought someone would claim this one. A purebred 5 month old sheltie puppy?! But nope. This is Rookie.

Photobucket
-----------------

More to come.

No comments: