25 July 2008

One day's haul: more dogs



Yesterday I was set to pick up 3 dogs from "my" pound. The night before, I got an email from the dog warden, said he had 2 golden mix puppies and another terrier. So I contacted the intake coordinator for the rescue I work with the most, she worked a few more miracles and we found space for those too.

So my 9 year old and I head off to the pound in my pitiful dog-mangled Saturn wagon. In the far back goes the big female yellow lab who has been there close to 2 weeks already. We thought she had been claimed, someone called and was looking for a female yellow lab, lost around the same time and in the same general area but it wasn't their dog. With her I put the new little male terrier. Mixing up dogs who don't know each other isn't something I do if I can avoid it. So far, knock on wood, I have yet to have to deal with a dog fight at 60 MPH on a country road, but in this case they both seemed pretty friendly and it was a chance I had to take.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I bring out the puppies, and drop those in my daughter's lap. Everyone in this family lives and breathes dogs (and dog fur) but she is my most loyal helper. For all the dogs and puppies she meets, she falls in love with every one of them. Next comes the little Jack Russell terrier who is sweet as can be, so she gets tossed in the backseat too. And we're off!

cocker spaniel mix puppy

Jack Russell Terrrier

As if the car loading isn't enough, I have to bring them here first for a few hours. That means unloading all 5 dogs and stashing them in various crates outside in the shade (adult dogs) or inside my house (puppies.) I live in a rural area but I do have neighbors, who I'm sure wonder sometimes why I have crates of dogs sitting outside but so far anyhow, I've managed to get them back in the car before the dog warden's ever showed up.

This is a busier week than most but all of these are super nice dogs who will be adopted in no time. All someone else's rubbish. I'm about as unlikely a hero as anyone can be but these dogs really have no one else, and to them I'm a lifeline. When you wonder why I do what I do, it's for each and every one of these wonderful dogs, to give them another chance.

No comments: