30 July 2008

A roomful of puppies


"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." Bernard Williams

I can't sleep at night when there's baby puppies at the pound. It's not the worst place on earth for puppies to be but the thought of them sleeping on cold stainless steel or concrete floors in kennel runs, divided up from each other, just makes me sad.

This week someone dropped off six 5 week old Weimaraner mix puppies (and now for the first time in my life, I can actually spell "Weimaraner.") I saw them there yesterday and went back and got them today. They'll just have to stay here for a week or so until we can make room for them somewhere else. How hard can it be? Well, here's how you take care of a roomful of puppies.

Get a bucket, a mop, a stack of newspapers, garbage bags and a gallon of bleach. Then an hour later, get more newspapers, more bleach, and most likely a new mop soon too. Puppies are messy!! Still they seem to get the hang of using the area with the newspapers before too long. And they're puppies! They bite on your ankles with their little sharp teeth and make little grunting puppy noises when you pick them up. They run and wrestle each other, then suddenly collapse for a nap right where they're standing. And don't forget puppy breath and little puppy kisses! There's not much that competes with the fun of playing with a litter of puppies!

My kids love having them here too. I let them choose their names. We have Ruthie,Photobucket
Rigby, Photobucket
Rover, Photobucket
Rufus, Photobucket
Rusty Photobucket
and Rocket. Photobucket
Did you see, Rocket has a white star on his chest!


They'll be available for adoption in about 3 weeks.

2 comments:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I LOVE them!!!
I'm a rescue pup owner myself -- ours is a greyhound mutt. Thanks for doing what you're doing!

Molly said...

Thanks, they're fun to borrow but I wouldn't want to keep them! ha