08 July 2008

Noah


First I thought I would be picking up an Australian Shepherd, the dog warden said "seemed a little quiet." A few days later they decided he was "most likely" deaf. Deaf is challenging but not insurmountable. When I finally made it over there and walked back to his kennel, he was sprawled out with his back to the walkway. He didn't notice me walking up, so I shook the door, which got his attention. As soon as he sat up and turned around, it was clear he's old. When I checked his teeth, I could maybe say 8 but my more accurate guess is around 10. Old is even more challenging than deaf much less old and deaf but there is no way I can leave this dog in the pound to die.

I wish I could convince everyone to take a chance on an old rescue dog. He is so gentle and sweet-natured. He just wants to be by my side whenever possible, and is happy to have a bed to sleep on. His hearing loss doesn't seem to effect him all that much. He does respond to hand clapping so we do OK with eye contact, hand clapping and me leading him to where he needs to go. I'm not sure yet where he will go. We will work that out soon. In the meantime we're the lucky ones to have him sharing our life for however long he is here.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments: