28 June 2011

Unlikely adoptions



Sometimes people question my choices when it comes to adoptions that I've allowed for my foster dogs. Some fosters and/or rescues have set rules. "All dogs require a fence" and "no adoptions out of the area" are two more common ones. There's some controversy about invisible fence as well. I've always taken it on a case by case basis. I feel like I know "my" dogs and know what they need. Some do require fences. Some will do fine with an active hands-on owner who plans on spending time with the dog, rather than just turning it out in the yard. (Something I'm guilty of myself!) I'm not going to send an iffy match 5 hours away because I don't want to be making the drive to pick that dog up if it doesn't work out. Still, some of my most successful adoptions were those where I "bent" the rules a little.

Take Blue (NKA Chance) for example. Since he was an aussie, I did insist on a fence for him. I turned one guy down because he didn't have one, and lived in an apartment, even though he insisted he ran every day. Maybe he did, maybe he would've been a good home, but there was no way to verify whether or not he was active enough for a young aussie. As it turned out, Blue got the very best home possible! His new parents drove from eastern PA to meet him and take him home, and yes, they also had an invisible fence. With Blue though I guessed from his nature he would learn the limits of the yard quickly, mostly from other dogs, and have little interest in testing those. He's now living the good life with several other aussies and a mom who participates in agility.

On the other hand, I declined an application for Haven because of invisible fence. With her history of abuse and neglect, being zapped even once would do her in entirely.

Some people insist on "breed experience" but I wonder how will you learn about a breed until you have one? We all started somewhere. I can think of a lot of adoptions I allowed for first time breed owners who understood the basic needs and traits of the breed they were interested in. Tommy the German Shepherd dog is living the good life with his "first time" GSD owners, as is Ilsa, who was adopted by a couple who had Rotties before. And I about bet both of those families will continue to adopt GSDs now that they have that experience.

The one that makes me shake my head the most though was a Jack Russell Terrier named Herman. He was at the pound with an injured leg, which we found out was broken. I don't even know how I ended up fostering him. It's not a breed I've had all that often. He was a young dog too, very sweet but of course very active. He was listed for adoption but not ready to go until the pin was taken out of his leg. I got an application and then follow-up emails from a senior couple in eastern PA who were determined Herman was the dog for them. They'd had a JRT before that had recently died and just fell in love with Herman's picture and story. They didn't have a fenced-in yard but assured me Herman would get all the walks and exercise he needed. I drug my feet for a long time. A young JRT going that far away? And without a fence even? And to an older couple? No way! But they wore me down. They were willing to take on the expense of follow-up on his leg and their vet assured us they went above and beyond for their previous dogs. Finally they made the 7 hour drive and I met them in Sandusky so they could meet Herman. I told them beforehand it wasn't a sure thing yet and they also agreed they would make the drive back if for any reason it wouldn't work out. I had Sally come along since she is the JRT expert, to make sure we were comfortable with sending him on his way. From the minute they got out of the car, holding their camera to get first photos of Herman, it was clear this was a perfect match. They sent pictures when he got home of his meeting the rest of the family and playing with all of his new toys. He is truly their kid, and very well cared for. And what cracks me up the most is out of all the people I've adopted to, his dad sends me an email every year, for 4 or 5 years now, after his check-up assuring me he's had his shots and is doing well.

I'm not against rules in general. In most cases yes, dogs do better with fences, and for some dogs it's an absolute. Still when you never allow for any exceptions you miss out on great adoptions, like Herman's.

2 comments:

Debbi said...

Thanks for all the concern and care you give to all the dogs.You truely have a good heart.We have been so happy and fortunate to get Tommy from your foster care.He is a perfect addition to our family.You were very fourthcoming in what was expected of us to properly take care of a German Shepherd and the paperwork and home visit were fine with us because it let us know that you care about the homes your fosters get.Thanks for everything!!!

molly lamountain said...

He's a beautiful boy and it's clear he's thriving with you!!