15 April 2008

Aussies!

We all have "our" breeds and for me, while I love a lot of different dogs, the breed I believe is absolutely perfect are Australian Shepherds. I mean, c'mon! They're beautiful, smart, energetic, and have enough of an attitude to be challenging. They're a great size, not too small, not too big, and don't require a lot of grooming to look nice. I started off with Winter when she came in as an "extra" on transport one December day. She was a fluffy gray puppy with gray eyes and it was love at first sight for me!
Photobucket


She was so much fun I said someday I'd get another. That someday came the next 4th of July. 4th of July seems to be the worst weekend of the year for rescue dogs. Some probably run from fear of all the commotion and are never claimed. Others are probably dumped off by people who don't want to pay the cost of boarding when they head out of town. Either way, the pound is invariably packed after the holiday. About 4 years ago, among all of the others, there was a small, young tri-colored aussie sitting nicely in his kennel, wagging his docked tail as sweet as could be. How could I resist?? Since then, Banjo has been my most loyal companion, the dog who would literally do anything at all for me. At 40 lbs, he's the one who I am sure would do whatever it took to protect me or this house.
Photobucket


Since then, there's an occasional aussie at the pound I go to, but it doesn't seem to be a breed that shows up a lot of the time. So, what are the odds that not one but two of the prettiest aussies I have seen show up at the same time AND go unclaimed by anyone?! Look who I picked up today!! I cannot get over how gorgeous these dogs are! They're young too, and sweet natured. Goes to show, really, that ANY dog can end up on death row. Yeah these 2 will get another chance, but don't believe for one minute that is always the case.


I'm calling the blue merle "Blue" for now, because it amuses me. As it happens, a friend of mine lost one of her blue merles not too long ago, so he will go to a great home with her.

Photobucket
And this is Ruby. Right now, we're not sure if she'll be available for adoption......or not. :)

Photobucket

No comments: