01 April 2008

Names

I know when you read about the fox and Boston terriers, you'll be thinking "where in the heck does she come up with these names?" Well, I didn't name those two, but there is logic to the choices. Boston terrier: Cheers. Get it?

The rule when I started going to pounds was whoever brings them in gets to name them. That is a fun fringe benefit.....for about the first few 100 dogs. I still name some of them, the intake coordinator names some of them, and sometimes the foster parent gets to name them, as thanks for taking them in. Without the fosters, none of these dogs get out of there alive. Fact is though, when I come up with a name I really really like for that dog, the new owner almost invariably changes it. When I toss one out in desperation at the last minute at the vet's office, the dog will almost certainly be stuck with it for life.

No comments: