04 April 2008

accolades for Oprah

I watched her puppy mill show at my mom's. Big mistake. I cried through the whole hour. You'd think those of us who know all of this already would become immune but it never happens. I was surprised at how hard hitting it was. She didn't pull a single punch. Here's dogs with missing feet, dead dogs left to rot. I'll never get the images of the dogs being "let out" of their tiny box cages to run in hamster wheels out of my head. And yes, SHOW these dogs being walked down shelter corridors to their deaths. Even in rescue, there's so many people who don't want to face those facts. You have to. They die. All the time, all over, nice dogs who really do want to live, and then they're packed up like the garbage many believe them to be, and hauled away, to make room for still more.
I don't know how much change an hour will make but I do believe making these facts mainstream will have a big impact. In a way it seems nearly shocking this is still "new" to anyone. Rescue is very big here, pet stores that sell puppies are nearly non-existent. Still there are certainly puppy millers. I see those dogs all the time. Thank you to Oprah for giving them the attention they deserve.

No comments: